Sunday, April 28, 2019

I Have No Mouth But I Must Scream

One of my favorite post-apocalyptic novels of all time, I Have No Mouth is what I would consider to be the most cynical, anti-human, takes on the end of times in writing history, the bleak future that is depicted really puts in to perspective a fate worse than what humans are even capable of now, as the final characters ends up as a sentient blob of flesh suffering until the heat death of the universe really makes all of our tortures look like tickling. While this is of course not a future I would ever want to live in, I do enjoy the act of pondering these 'worst case scenarios' as almost something to avoid, but not only to enjoy the story, but to find the deeper meaning behind the text. The author has definitely got some very strong views on the state of nuclear warfare and artificial intelligence and where it could head if we let things get out of hand. I would and do recommend this book to people all the time as it is a wonderful short read for those who enjoy the post-apocalypse scenario, or terrifying AI.

No comments:

Post a Comment